- Each Member is solely and independently responsible for its own privacy practices. No Member is responsible for another Member’s privacy practices. Also, Coursedemy is not responsible for any Member’s privacy practices.
INFORMATION THAT COURSEDEMY COLLECTS FROM YOU (INCLUDING PERSONAL INFORMATION)
Coursedemy directly collects information when you:
- sign up for an coursedemy user account and create an coursedemy user profile;
- enroll and participate in online courses;
- purchase a product or service (for example, Verified Certificates);
- send email messages to coursedemy (including messages to learner support);
- participate in user surveys; and
- participate in public forums, webinars, and other interactive experiences on the Coursedemy.
Coursedemy also indirectly collects usage information about your visit to the Coursedemy Site, as explained in the section below titled Cookies and Tracking Technologies.
Coursedemy does not itself collect or store financial account numbers or identification issued by a governmental entity, employer, or other authority. Instead, if you choose to make a purchase on the Coursedemy Site, for example a Verified Certificate, you will be directed to Coursedemy’s third-party payment processor and coursedemy third-party ID verification service provider. If you do not wish to submit the required authentication or payment information, then you will not be able to obtain a certificate via the Coursedemy Site.
Coursedemy requires your Personal Information limited circumstances when you:
- sign up for an Coursedemy user account (name, username, email address);
- purchase a Verified Certificate (so that Coursedemy third-party vendor can authenticate your identity) or other product or service (so that Coursedemy third-party vendor can process payment);
- participate in remote proctoring or other course facilitation processes (so that Coursedemy third-party vendor can monitor and assess the integrity of your course activity); or
- earn a Verified Certificate (the certificate will have your name on it).
To the extent that Coursedemy associates the information that coursedemy collects directly or indirectly with an individual (for example, you), the association is based on Personal Information in your account profile.
You may voluntarily choose to share additional Personal Information on the coursedemy Site, for example:
- in your coursedemy account profile (and you may display a limited or full profile to other coursedemy Site users);
- in applying for financial assistance; or
- when participating in a course, forum, webinar, or other interactive experience on the Coursedemy Site (noting that in some cases, this information is shared with a third party that provides tools or other assistance for the Coursedemy Site or a course).
Coursedemy encourages you to use discretion before voluntarily sharing additional Personal Information on the Coursedemy Site. (If you later choose to delete your coursedemy account, deletion of your Personal Information will be subject to the process and limits outlined below.)
Members do not receive your Personal Information unless and until you enroll in a course. If you enroll in a course, the Member that offers the course will receive Personal Information from your coursedemy account profile plus the information that coursedemy collects about your activity and performance in the course in which you enrolled.
HOW YOUR INFORMATION IS USED
- Operate and improve the Coursedemy Site – This includes creating and improving features that support the edX community and enable usage at scale. This also includes personalizing the coursedemy Site, so your learning experience is tailored to your interests and needs.
- Create, administer, provide, and teach courses – This includes creating and improving the delivery of massive open online courses and programs on coursedemy. This also includes personalizing courses, so your learning experience is tailored to your interests and needs, and assessing your performance and awarding certificates.
- Offer and improve products and services – This includes enabling you to navigate the coursedemy Site, to enroll and participate in courses and programs on the coursedemy Site, to learn effectively in such courses and programs, and to purchase or obtain products and services on the coursedemy Site such as Verified Certificates.
- Develop and maintain the security and performance of the coursedemy Site – This includes tracking coursedemy Site outages and creating software solutions, detecting violations of the Honor Code and Terms of Service, and monitoring uses, misuses, and potential misuses of the coursedemy Site.
- Communicate with you – This includes answering your course and platform questions, notifying you of course and coursedemy Site maintenance and updates, marketing to you about course offerings, programs, news, and related products and services of coursedemy or coursedemy affiliates, and as permitted under applicable law, sending you communications about products or services of selected business partners that may be of interest to you.
- Support scientific research including, for example, in the areas of cognitive science and education – This includes collaborating to enable and conduct research about how learners access and master course materials online, with the goal of improving course outcomes.
- Track Coursedemy Site usage against goals and mission – This includes performing analytics to evaluate access to and performance in courses and course-related products and services and to report aggregate usage information (not Personal Information) to business partners and external audiences.
- Exercise, enforce, and comply with legal rights and obligations – This includes responding to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process; and investigating, preventing, or taking action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, security or technical issues, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of coursedemy, Members, or others, and as otherwise required by applicable law.
Coursedemy or a Member may also seek your consent for additional uses of information, including Personal Information, and will use it only for the purpose described to you. All use of Personal Information is subject to applicable law.
HOW YOUR INFORMATION IS SHARED
- With other learners in courses that you take and with other visitors to the Coursedemy Site, to create an interactive learning environment, support class participation, and share course information – This includes sharing comments, coursework, or other information or content that you submit to a portion of the edX Site designed for viewing by other class members or for public communication. This also includes providing opportunities for you to communicate with other users who may have similar interests or educational goals, for instance, recommending specific study partners or connecting potential student mentees and mentors. In such cases, edX and each Member that offers a course in which you enrolled may use all information collected about you to determine who might be interested in communicating with you, but will only provide others your username (for clarity, no disclosure of your real name or email address).
- With employers, government programs, institutions, or other enterprises that sponsor your enrollment in a course for training or other educational purposes – If an entity pays for or otherwise sponsors your Verified Certificate or course participation, Coursedemy will share information with the entity as needed to confirm your enrollment, participation, progress, and completion status in that course.
Coursedemy or a Member may also seek your consent for additional disclosures of information, including Personal Information, and will share it only as described to you. In addition, coursedemyor a Member may share with the public and with third parties, including but not limited to researchers and business partners, information and Personal Information that is de-identified or aggregated in a manner that does not personally identify you.
HOW TO MANAGE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You can manage your Personal Information through learner features on the Coursedemy site and requests to the Coursedemy learner support team. If your request involves information controlled by a Member, Coursedemy learner support will notify and coordinate with the appropriate Member to address your request. Coursedemy will provide support to the extent required by applicable law (for example, learners in the European Union) and more broadly when possible, as a courtesy in our sole discretion. Coursedemy will notify you in the event that Coursedemy is unable to meet a request that is not legally required. Similarly, Members will only be obligated to comply with requests to the extent legally required, but may choose to comply with other requests in their sole discretion.
Access and correct your Personal Information
Much of your Personal Information is available in your Coursedemy account. Your name, email address, and other identifiable profile information is editable through the profile settings in your Coursedemy account except as noted below. Your account dashboard lists all current and archived courses in which you have enrolled and includes links to any Verified Certificates you may have earned. The dashboard also contains copies of your answers and other participation and performance in courses. Please contact Coursedemy learner support to access and update this or other information. If your request involves information controlled by a Member, Coursedemy learner support will notify the appropriate Member of your request.
- Usernames cannot ever be changed. This is an Coursedemy system restriction. Because usernames identify you in courses and elsewhere on the Coursedemy Site, Coursedemy encourages you to use discretion in choosing your username. If you want to protect your identity, do not use your real name or a name identifiable to you as your username.
- Coursedemy does not track or index every time or every place on theCoursedemy Site when or where a learner may volunteer Personal Information, so neither Coursedemy nor Members will be able to help you locate or manage all such instances. Coursedemy encourages you to use discretion before volunteering Personal Information on the CoursedemySite.
Restrict or object to the processing of Personal Information
If you want to manage emails and other communications to you, you may update your preferences in your Coursedemy account dashboard, follow the steps described in links at the bottom of email messages, or contact Coursedemy learner support. You may object to, or request that Coursedemy or a Member stop, its use of your Personal Information for other purposes by contacting the Coursedemy learner support team. If your request involves information controlled by a Member, Coursedemy learner support will notify the appropriate Member of your request. Please note that if you choose to restrict Coursedemy or a Member’s ability to process Personal Information, and the processing is otherwise required to provide you with various services and products offered on the Coursedemy Site, you may not be able to establish an Coursedemy user account or enroll for a course, and Coursedemy or a Member may not be able to provide you with those services or products.
Delete account and Personal Information
To request deletion of your Coursedemy account and Personal Information, you should click the button labeled “Delete my account” in your Coursedemy account settings. Because deletion on the Coursedemy system is a permanent action and cannot be reversed, Coursedemy may ask you to complete a process that aims to confirm your authority to manage the Coursedemy account affected by your request.
With respect to your Coursedemy account, Coursedemy will permanently:
- deactivate your Coursedemy account,
- remove the active profile,
- retire your username, and
- remove you from Coursedemyemail lists.
With respect to your Personal Information, Coursedemy will permanently delete your Coursedemy account profile Personal Information from the Coursedemy Site.
As noted above, to the extent that Coursedemy associates the information that Coursedemy collects directly or indirectly with an individual (for example, you), the association is based on Personal Information in your Coursedemy account profile. By erasing the Personal Information in your Coursedemy account profile, the remaining information about your activity on the Coursedemy Site will no longer be associated with you, except as noted below.
These changes will be applied to data stores that are used for operation of the Coursedemy Site including course administration by Members. If you enrolled in any courses on the Coursedemy Site, the Coursedemylearner support team will share your request with the Members that offered those courses.
- Deletion will not apply to historical activity logs or archives unless and until these logs and data naturally “age-off” the Coursedemy system.
- Coursedemy does not track or index every time or every place on the Coursedemy Site when or where a learner may volunteer Personal Information, so neither Coursedemy nor Members will be able to help you locate or manage all such instances. Coursedemy encourages you to use discretion before voluntarily sharing your Personal Information on the Coursedemy Site.
- Coursedemy will archive course data (in a manner and to the extent permitted under applicable law) to serve its mission to enable scientific research on cognitive science and education. These archives are used to produce encrypted research data packages for Members, and Personal Information may not be deleted from research data packages retained by Members.
- Coursedemy and each applicable Member cannot always delete records of past interactions and transactions. For example, records relating to previous purchases on the Coursedemy Site must be retained for financial reporting, audit, and compliance reasons.
- Coursedemy and each Member will retain and use Personal Information as necessary to comply with its legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law.
Coursedemy will retain your Personal Information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you with services; to maintain a record of your transactions for financial reporting, audit, and compliance purposes; and to comply with Coursedemy’s legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law. If you enroll in a Member’s course, such Member will also retain your Personal Information for as long as needed to provide you with services; to maintain a record of your transactions for financial reporting, audit, and compliance purposes; and to comply with its legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law. Upon your request that Coursedemydeactivate your account and delete your information, Coursedemy will follow the process described above, including without limitation archiving your course data (in a manner and to the extent permitted under applicable law) to serve its mission to enable scientific research on cognitive science and education. These archives will be used to produce encrypted research data packages for Members, and each such Member may also keep and use course data for scientific research.
STORAGE & SECURITY
Coursedemy stores information, including Personal Information, on its own servers and also on servers of companies that Coursedemy hires to provide services. Each Member also stores information, including Personal Information, on its own servers and/or on servers of companies that the Member hires to provide services. In each case, information may be stored in the United States and in other countries where Coursedemy or a Member operates, and in countries where Coursedemy and each Member’s respective service providers operate. If you are in the European Union, Switzerland, or other regions with laws governing data collection and use, you acknowledge that Coursedemy and each Member may transfer, process and store your personal information in the United States and other countries, the privacy laws of which may be considered less strict than those of your region.
Coursedemy controls its own copy of information collected through the Coursedemy and has an information security program designed to protect information in its possession or control. This is done through a variety of privacy and security policies, processes, and procedures. Coursedemy uses administrative, physical, and technical safeguards that reasonably and appropriately protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the information that it collects, receives, stores, or transmits. Nonetheless, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure; and therefore, Coursedemy cannot guarantee its absolute security. While Coursedemy works hard to ensure the integrity and security of its network and systems, Coursedemy cannot guarantee that its security measures will prevent “hackers” or other unauthorized persons from illegally accessing or obtaining information.
If Coursedemy learns of a security breach involving its copy of your Personal Information, Coursedemy may attempt to notify you electronically so that you may take appropriate protective steps. By using the Coursedemy Site or providing Personal Information to Coursedemy, you agree that Coursedemy can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of the Coursedemy Site. If a security systems breach occurs, Coursedemy may post a notice on the Coursedemy homepage (www.Coursedemy.org) or elsewhere on the edX Site and may send an email to you at the email address associated with your Coursedemy account. Depending on where you are located, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach, involving your Personal Information, in writing.
If a Member learns of a security breach involving that Member’s copy of your Personal Information, the Member may attempt to notify you electronically so that you may take appropriate protective steps. By enrolling in a Member’s course on the Coursedemy Site or providing Personal Information to the Member, you agree that the Member can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your course enrollment and participation. If a security systems breach occurs, the affected Member may post a notice on the Coursedemy site and/or send an email to you at the email address associated with your enrollment in the Member’s course on the Coursedemy Site. Depending on where you are located, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach, involving your Personal Information, in writing.
If you have privacy concerns, have disclosed data you would prefer to keep private, or would like to access the Personal Information that edX maintains about you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org You may also write to us at: ATTN: PRIVACY, Coursedemy Inc., Aho Yangtam,East Sikkim. If your request involves a Member, Coursedemy will notify the appropriate Member of your request.
Coursedemy Site consists of all content and pages located within the Coursedemy.org web domain.
Member is each educational institution or other leading global institution or entity that provides courses through the Coursedemy Site.
Personal Information is information that specifically identifies you or that, when combined with other information, could be used to identify you.
Tracking Technologies are web beacons, clear gifs, pixels, and similar technologies that are also unique identifiers used to track your online activity but are not stored on your device.
Verified Certificate is a virtual certificate that shows that you have successfully completed your Coursedemy course or program and verified your identity using your webcam and your acceptable form of photo ID.